MVZ Infectiology (CVK)
In the Medical Care Centre (MVZ) Infectiology of the Ambulant Health Centre of the Charité on the Campus Virchow-Klinikum (CVK) doctors of the clinic treat patients with HIV infections in all stages and the frequently accompanying diseases.
You are here:
The MVZ Infectiologie specialises in HIV infections in all stages and the frequently accompanying diseases.
It offers the entire spectrum of the required comprehensive diagnostics. The therapy is adjusted and monitored in close cooperation with colleagues from other Charité departments. One example is the care of pregnant HIV-positive patients in close cooperation with the Clinic for Gynaecology and Obstetrics and the Children's HIV Outpatient Clinic.
The focus is on the individual and personal care of the patients. Not only is apparatus medicine used, but the MVZ doctors are also happy to take the necessary time to explain all the results in an understandable way in a personal conversation and to answer open questions.
What is HIV/AIDS?
If left untreated, this progressive immunodeficiency can result in severe infections and tumours after just under a decade, as well as a multitude of other HIV-associated complications, most of which are fatal.
- Checks on the immunological and virological status of HIV-infected persons at all stages of the disease
- Carrying out drug prophylaxis of opportunistic infections and their treatment in case of illness
- Regular monitoring of therapy tolerance and its effectiveness
- Therapy of HIV-associated diseases and accompanying infections - including chemotherapy for HIV-associated malign (malignant) diseases
- Inhalation and infusion treatments, blood transfusions
- Preparation of vaccination plans and implementation of vaccinations according to STIKO guidelines
- Advice and initiation of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) against HIV and hepatitis after e.g. needlestick injuries, accidents or sexual contacts, implementation and medical support
- Advice on pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), implementation and medical support
- diagnostics and therapy of venereal diseases, viral hepatitis, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases
- HIV testing and counselling in matters of sexual health and communicable diseases (such as HIV, hepatitis, syphilis, etc.)
- Within the framework of basic internal health care, general medical and internal diseases can also be treated and all preventive medical examinations recommended by the statutory health insurance funds, such as health checks and cancer screening, can be performed.
- Opportunities to participate in studies (focus on HIV therapy and HIV drugs)
- Support in travel medical matters
- Hans Wesselmann: Specialist in internal medicine, specialisations: HIV, hepatitis, general infectiology
- Nikolai Menner: Specialist in Internal Medicine, Infectiology, Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Public Health (DTMPH), Master of Science in International Health (MScIH), specialisations: Infectiology, HIV, tuberculosis, tropical medicine
Please bring to the agreed date:
- Letter of referral (issued in current quarter)
- Health insurance card (and identity card for comparison)
- medication plan
- At first presentation: all previous findings (laboratory results, doctor's letters, X-ray and CT images), if the pre-treatment did not take place at the Charité.