Charité Center for Out-of-Hospital Ventilation and Oxygen Therapy (CABS)
The Center for Outpatient Ventilation and Oxygen Therapy (CABS) of the Department of Infectious Diseases and Pulmonary Medicine of the Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin is located on the Charité Mitte campus (CCM). It cares for patients with diseases of the lung, musculature or nervous system, who are temporarily or permanently dependent on the support of respiratory functions.
You are here:
For ventilation patients, the CABS forms the link between inpatient care and outpatient care by nursing services at home or in nursing facilities.
The interdisciplinary team of physicians and respiratory therapists offers specialized diagnostics of respiratory functions and the adjustment to respiration-supporting therapy such as home respiration therapy, mechanical cough assistance or oxygen therapy.
It also organizes - together with the social service and case management of our clinic - the transfer of ventilated patients from clinical treatment to care outside the hospital.
The CABS is also the central point of contact for patients, relatives, doctors, outpatient nursing services and payers for the care of patients with chronic respiratory and lung failure.
If you have any questions about ventilatory weaning, CABS will be happy to put you in touch with the clinic's certified weaning centre and help you organise inpatient admission.
- Advising affected patients and relatives and drawing up second opinions
- Advising nursing services and physicians, in particular on problems in outpatient care
- Home ventilation, invasive (IV) or non-invasive (NIV)
- Cough capacity diagnostics, setting up and checking mechanical cough assistance
- Long-term oxygen therapy (LTOT)
- Sleep laboratory diagnostics (only for lung and neuromuscular diseases) for ventilator testing and ventilator adjustment
- Transfer of ventilated patients home or to suitable care facilities
- Support in the clarification of social and financial aspects of outpatient ventilation care
Please bring to the agreed date:
- letter of referral (issued in current quarter)
- Health insurance card (and identity card for comparison)
- medication plan
- At the first presentation: all previous findings (laboratory values, doctor's letters, X-ray and CT images), if the pre-treatment has not taken place at the Charité;
- If available: ventilator, mask, mechanical cough assistants